FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFREE??!! ECE Hours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FREE??!! ECE Hours?
    Posted: 18 January 2010 at 6:47pm
I asked about the (free) ECE hrs at my 2 and a bit yr old daughter's daycare today (I like to be organised in advance)

Was told that over and above what the organisation received from the govt, we will have to pay an excess of $1.75 per hour.

Now this may not sound like a lot, but it is very close to what we pay for her care as it is now (after our WINZ subsidy is taken into account) and is 100% more than I thought we'd be paying for her free! ECE hours when she turned 3.

Don't get me wrong - I totally understand that the govt shortchange care facilities and I wouldn't want them to go under because they weren't charging what they needed to but with a second baby due just before DD turns 3, I now don't think we could afford for me to work part time and pay childcare for 2 children Even tho I really want to continue working

Just wondering if this is pretty standard as far as free ECE hr excesses go. Please let me know what you pay (if any) in excess for your child's free ECE hrs.

Thank you

*edited because it sounded like would only paying $1.75 for DDs childcare in total rather than per hour, sorry babybrain*

Edited by babyg
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 6:57pm
You will still get a subsidy from Winz though wont you? .. so that amount will go down?

You will actually be entitled to more as you will have two kiddies (even if both kiddies arent in care you the calculation is done on two children).

For us we will have to pay $146.00 per week for fulltime care after the 20 hours "free" (thats not taking into account any winz subsidy we will be entitled to at that stage)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:23pm
No, if you get the 'free' ECE hrs then you no longer qualify for a WINZ subsidy I only work 20hrs per week so I have to either take the 'free' ECE hrs or continue as is with our WINZ subsidy. It is neither here nor there as it roughly works out the same for us So much for govt help to keep parents working! Its just the govt moving funds around and acting like they are doing good

In regard to the calculation - we still fall into the same subsidy category with 2 children as we do for one (we are in the highest/largest paying category available - we must be poor, I sure feel it!) so that doesn't help us either. And my income doesn't go up just cos I have another child - just the expenses

What you're paying sounds really reasonable.
Ev, Mum to:
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:23pm
we pay extra for the free 20 hours.

kinda.

before our centre brought them in - we paid $60 a week for jake and about the same for Taine. they attended part time hours.

After the centre brought them in, we paid $80 a week (after a minor subsidy) per child. the centre stopped allowing part time hours, so we had to be booked in full time for those days. not impressed but we like the carers, so we just suck it up.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:32pm
Oh we wont get a subsidy for Issy when she turns three - hadnt looked that far ahead lol.

So we will pay $146 for Isabelle and for Elias we will pay $245 per week (he will be getting a subsidy, so it comes down to about $160) so just over $300 for both.

babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:35pm
That sucks lizzle - totally unfair that you have been so disadvantaged because you have your kids in part time care. You'd think that the govt and centres would like to help parents raise their children at least some of the time - but it is such a financial advantage to have children in full time care. I, like you, worked out that I would only be paying roughly $30 per week more for DD to be in the centre fulltime rather than half and the extra amount I could earn working fulltime $$$$$$$ - its just ridiculous!
Ev, Mum to:
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

So we will pay $146 for Isabelle and for Elias we will pay $245 per week (he will be getting a subsidy, so it comes down to about $160) so just over $300 for both.

So on that basis lilfatty, it sounds like you'll get a full 20hrs free out of Issy's childcare costs?
Ev, Mum to:
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:48pm
Well its $226 for her without the 20 hours, I presume we will get the full 20 hour subsidy as we get 20 hours subsidised now, so without looking I would guess we will get the full 20 hour subsidy and end up paying $146 for her.

babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:59pm
I hope so - $226 is very ouchy! Do you work fulltime? If yes, how do you enjoy it/manage it with two kids?
Ev, Mum to:
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:05pm
That's weird cos I got a letter from barnadoes a while ago saying they will now be charging $1.40 per hour for the "free hours" as they can no longer do it for what the gov pays them but that if you get the childcare subsidy it would cover that charge.

Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:06pm
Ivy has 20 free hours and is only in part time - we pay $4 for lunch on the days she has it there but nothing extra for those free hours. Sucks that its not actually 'free' at some centres though!
~Cassie~
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:07pm
there are no FREE hours. the new govt changed it to 20 ECE hours.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:11pm
babyg - yes I work fulltime, however DH stopped work when Issy was four months and became our SAHD .. last year he started an ECE degree so Issy went into childcare part time so he could do his lectures and work experience.

Now that we have Elias .. Elias will go into childcare part time too when DH returns to school in Feb .. luckily he does his work experience where they go, so they have a parent on site on two of the three days.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:13pm
Ours is structured so that when the 20 hours free came in, all fees for up to 3yo's went up and you actually only get $50 off for your 20 horus 'free' ($135 instead of $185). Doesn't really work at all, does it? But it's because the govt only pays a certain amount, and you can only take it 6 hours a day (well at ours you can anyway).

Just to clarify, you can't receive subsidies for the hours you receive the 20 hours free for anyone that was confused, as they would see that as double-dipping.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:18pm
This might help

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/manuals-and-procedures/income_support/extra_help/childcare_assistance_programme/childcare_subsidy-16.htm

Maybe I read the letter wrong, I just skimmed it as it doesn't apply to us yet.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:40pm
I just read this on that site which I thought was interesting

Providers cannot charge fees for the Twenty hours Early Childhood Education hours but they can request families to pay an optional charge. Clients can choose whether or not to pay these. The provider can also request fees for other hours of enrolment that are not covered by the Twenty hours Early Childhood Education.
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:06pm
Yes, our centre said that it is an 'optional charge' but if the parents 'choose' not to pay it then they are going to have to put the charges up to cover their 'optional charge' or reduce what they do for the children (food, outings, craft etc) so it seems a fairly 'forced' optional charge

I am going to look at a centre closer to home, it is a low-socio economic area (the one she currently goes to is high-socio) so they will charge way less for the 'optional charge' (if at all) and they are always desperate for kids on their enrollment so I think they would jump all over us to have C on their books. Will be interesting to see the differences.

Thanks so much for all your input ladies .. and any to come is most welcome - will keep looking!
Ev, Mum to:
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:08pm
Hey Cassie - where does Ivy go to?
Ev, Mum to:
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:47am
She goes down to ABC, loves it there! The staff are all really great. I should probably have organized to try and get Lauren in for a morning sometime cause I'm gonna miss everyone when Ivy goes to school!
~Cassie~
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 12:23pm
Bizzy the name changed, but not the rules or functionality as yet.

Baby G, they can only charge you for any services above and beyond regulartory requirements. Eg. they may make you pay for ICT, Meals, etc. You can opt out of these, and according to current legislation, if they refuse then they are very much in the wrong, assuming you are just taking up your 20 free hours.
But these quotes back me up. Straight from the MOE website.

Other fees and charges

If your child is attending ECE for more than six hours on any one day or more than 20 hours a week in total, your ECE service is likely to charge you fees for the remaining hours.

The ECE service cannot charge you fees for any hours covered under 20 Hours ECE, but they can request optional charges for additional services over and above their regulatory requirements. They must tell you what these are. You can choose whether or not to pay optional charges. However:

* if you agree to pay an optional charge, you commit to continuing to pay that charge until your child is no longer enrolled with the service
    * if you do not agree to pay an optional charge, you are confirming that you do not want the ECE service to provide the specified additional services to your child.

How 20 Hours ECE works

Currently all three- and four-year-olds at an ECE service offering 20 Hours ECE can get up to six hours a day and up to 20 hours per week of ECE with no compulsory fees. If a child does not start school when they turn five, they can continue to be eligible for 20 Hours ECE for up to 28 calendar days after their fifth birthday.

Useful information

edited to add:
Be wary of looking at a lower socio-economic centre, just make sure you check the quality of care, ratios of qualified teachers etc. Funding brackets may be different and therefore the resources available to teachers. TBH I'd fight the current ones on the surcharge. There would have to be alot of you not pay it to justify putting their rates up, and as it stands currently, they can not single out your child from using their equipment when she is there.

Edited by Flake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>