FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula - Will she get used to it??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula - Will she get used to it??
    Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:36pm
I've been breast feeding Keziah for just over 4 months, which is HUGE for me considering all the problems I have had doing so. I even told myself I would go to three months and then call it quits, at least then she'd have somewhat of a good start...but I got there and then thought, 4 months and that's it and that's pretty much where we are at....

I bought a tin of S-26 Gold today (man it stinks!!), and tried to give Keziah a bottle for her early afternoon feed.. she kept spitting it out at first, but then started to get the handle of the whole flow thing.. she only ended up taking about 10ml before deciding she'd had enough of that and resorted to the boobie instead... Should I continue with a full feed (240ml bottles) or just cut the size of the feed down to half that or even 1/4 of that until she gets used to the taste??

HELP!! What should I do?

ETA: Spelling isn't my strong point tonight LOL

Edited by Neeks
Sponsored Links

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:43pm
Cooper didn't like S26 either. So we use Heinz Nuture. I used it for all of my kids.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:45pm
Dont keep wasting it by making up loads, until she will take it. You will be tipping the tin down the sink. Yeah maybe try another one like Mel said. But give it another go too, it was only her first try of somethiung so differnt.
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:52pm
I might have to try some other brands of formula as well as the S-26 to see what works best.. It was on special so I took a chance and bought a tin, now I'm kinda regretting it!!
I might have to change the teats on the bottles too.. they seem to make her gag when she takes a huge mouthful as they are quite long!!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:00pm
Try the smallest size teats first. When she gets the hang of it she will let u know if its too slow, by getting annoyed!
You can ring the karicare 0800 number and get samples, and some supermarkets sell sample sizes too.

Isla wouldnt take a bottle til we got the Tommie Tippee closer to nature ones, so maybe u could try a differnt bottle too.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:02pm
Nuk all the way baby!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:05pm
NUK you reckon?
DF was being a tight arse today and wouldn't let me get the Closer to Nature or anything else with a 'label' as he so put it
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:09pm
Ask SimoneF about Nuk. I recommended it to her for her bubba and they worked. They are awesome. Not that expensive either. Get them from BF.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:16pm
Just the teats or the whole bottle?? Will the Nuk teats fit a generic bottle do you think?
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:21pm
Not necessarily..Although - I have found the Nuk do fit on certain infanti bottles. They are quite wide (the ones that look like boobies). The other ones will definitely fit.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:25pm
I might just bite the bullet and buy a fancy bottle or two just to annoy DF She's only got a small mouth which we discovered when I started BFing hence the reason I have to use a shield to feed her
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:28pm
Hmm well Nuk are kind of nipple shield-ish
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 9:31pm
Man, now I need to go to Sylvia Park to the Baby Factory to get a bottle or 5
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 10:23pm
Wouldn't Onehunga be closer for you?
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 10:35pm
hi sorry to jump in on your conversation but just wanted to say that the nuk bottles are fantastic for breast fed bubs.
Good luck with the formula, I am trying the same thing too at the moment not sure what will happen to my milk?
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 11:25am

i was wonering where i could find nuk .... right now to pan a trip to bf

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 12:02pm
lilfatty The Baby Factory has a great range of Nuk bottles, teats and dummies.
mamawendz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamawendz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 12:27pm
Just going back to the formula you are using, it may be too thick/heavy for bubs after being breastfed?

I found this with DD#2 and switched to Heinz Nurture which she loved.
mama_wendz
My Girls: Maddisyn Tylr & Layla-Mei Virginia
My Baby Boy: Noah Aotearoa
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 4:47pm
hey neeks, I use Heinz Nuture with Luke - he hasn't had a problem with it... I would just make up 50ml at a time (1 scoop and 50ml water) - that way you won't waste so much.... she may take it better if she is hungry when you give it to her...
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
Rackhell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackhell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 8:40pm
Hi, my daughter started having a bottle at 5 and a half months and it's taken her 6 weeks to drink 1 240ml bottle once a day. We use the wyeth s26 gold too. I started her off with 1 scoop to 60ml. We're now giving her 2 bottles a day, somedays she'll drink 60ml or 220 ml totally random amounts. BF morning and night.

I think all formulas smell funny. Perserverance I think is the key to gettting them used to a) formula and b) teats. Some kids really go for bottles, but I think that BF babies don't usually take to bottles (or so I've been told).

I tried her with avent bottles and teats, closer to nature (tommee tippee?) bottle and teats - no way did she like the name brands wouldn't drink from any of these, so went to the Warehouse bought a six pack of 240ml bottles in a basket for 14 bucks, threw away the teats and went to supermarket and bought PUR teats, and she loves them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>